Is it a forum? Or is it a community?

I have stolen this title from a Discourse discussion ;), while investigating and trialing the best online community platform. Is Invision Community a forum or a community? Currently, it is a forum. But the journey goes to online community. Look at the IC5 preview:

image.png

Compare the look to other communities platform. The same way. Navigation at the right, no user profile cards with every post. I really like it. It is a right way, and I am really excited.

Public communities with user-generated content are the balm for my soul between all those AI-generated articles, news, social media posts and e-books.

Human discussions, the best how-tos, good tutorials, human empathy cannot be generated. They are just real. From life. ;) 

What about you? Invision Community 5 or not? Forum or community? ;)

• Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 7:21 PM, Sonya* said:

Invision Community 5 or not?

Yes.

Forum or community?

Community. To attract new (and younger) users, they must find something that is similar to what they are used to. 

Is Invision Community a forum or a community?

Still a forum at heart, although the new magazine-style frontpage (which I really like) looks different to the traditional message boards layout.

50 minutes ago, Markus Jung said:

Community. To attract new (and younger) users, they must find something that is similar to what they are used to.

And exactly that is what they are not doing. There is no proper personal welcome stream and the profiles need a rework too. They even remove the status updates.

no user profile cards with every post.

Funfact: vBulletin tried exactly that with V3 but let the customers the option to chose. Years later they removed the "new" design again.

• Like 1

I think there is one branch that still needs profile cards. Gaming. Achievements, assets, trophies, and so on. So important :face-with-hand-over-mouth: Gaming has a lot of desktop traffic.

For other topics, there is no need anymore, IMHO. I have large communities where almost 90% of traffic comes from mobile. They see literally nothing of profile cards. And they do not miss something. 

If you look at communities platform and forums - the grid with profile cards is the prominent features that differ them from each other. And that is, what it makes look them outdated and “boomer”. 

The option to turn it on or off would be good, though.

• Like 1